I just wanted to drop a quick note wishing everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I’ll be back to posting reviews and thoughts after the first of the year. Until then, here are a few random thoughts:
- How about those Seminoles? Women’s Soccer won their first national championship. Football went 13-0 and they’re in the first ever college football playoff. Volleyball is full steam ahead. Let’s hope baseball and softball can keep that going in the spring.
- The new Mets alt road cap is fantastic. Merry Christmas to me.
- We desperately need to get away from, “me, me, me” and to “we, we, we” in society.
- I’m absolutely terrible at fantasy football. Baseball season can’t come quickly enough.
- Let’s go Islanders!
See you in 2015!
By William Kristoph
The anger I saw from the vocal minority over the new Seminole Head logo and the new uniforms was interesting. Personally, I don’t mind the new uniforms (football is a bit too Boston College for me) but that new logo is a disappointment. Why? Yet again FSU had a golden opportunity to make something awesome and potentially more accurate to the Seminoles and yet again FSU failed.
Either way the outrage was interesting to me mostly because there are plenty of people who think FSU (or any major
corporation school) has much interest in the vocal minority. The average fan is going to buy merchandise. FSU and Nike will make money. And if it doesn’t sell after a couple of years, then they’ll change the logo again. By now, everyone should know that FSU does a lot of shoot first and ask questions later moves. They also play up guilt (you’re a bad fan if you don’t do this, this and this). How this was handled is nothing new. I hope it changes in the future. Maybe I’m getting old, but outrage about it isn’t worth my time.
No full review for BJ’s because I didn’t feel like taking pictures of the food, but it was the definition of “meh.” I rated it “I Like It” on Urbanspoon, only because I didn’t dislike it. It’s typical bar food, that’s pricier than most with an odd atmosphere of dark cozy bar / sports bar. It’s a really strange combo. The service was fantastic and it looks like they had a huge bar menu which appeals to a lot I’m sure.
Social Media Blackout Ends Sunday Night
On Sunday night / Monday morning, I’ll check in with Twitter for the first time since the start of Lent.
Here’s what I missed:
- The occasional interesting question / discussion with a bunch of Twitter friends.
- I realized that I get a lot of my first news tidbits from Twitter, so I haven’t stayed up to date on a lot during the blackout.
- Television commentary / jokes while live watching with others.
Honestly, it’s been easy to give up. It was so easy, in fact, that I decided to give up some other stuff for Lent. The blackout might become a yearly thing. I’ve truly enjoyed unplugging.
By William Kristoph
Let’s catch up on what I’ve been doing for the last few weeks – In order, as the title states:
I decided to put my bundt pan to good use over the weekend and made a dark chocolate cake with vanilla icing and sprinkles. It ended up looking like a giant donut. I’m not a big fan of donuts, but at least this one is of the cake variety.
I believe in this Noles team. The N.C. State series sweep is similar to the massive victory FSU Football had over Clemson. I started to believe that the football team could win the national championship after the beat down they handed Clemson. I’m totally on board with thinking that the 2014 Noles might finally be the team to give Mike Martin his first CWS title. Continue reading
Last week, I had the pleasure of hearing that telltale drip sound in the tank of my toilet. Upon further inspection, I saw that my overflow tube cracked and fell apart. Some plumbers tape fixed the problem temporarily, and once the weekend rolled around I headed out to Lowe’s to get a repair kit. I called up Dad for some help with lifting the tank out of a fairly tight space.
Monday rolled around and after a television / router / cable modem rewiring job in the family room, my Dad and I headed into the bathroom for toilet repair. I thought I would share some tips with everyone:
- Have the correct water supply hose on hand. (I thought I did, but we had to make a quick trip to the hardware store to get the proper size).
- Make sure you put the washers in the proper order or you’ll end up with a drip, drip, drip like I did later Monday night.
- Have the right tool for tightening the nut on the overflow (Dad saved me from having to buy a tool since he already had one).
- Tighten said nut enough or you’ll have a different drip, drip, drip later that night.
- Laugh, a lot. Have fun. I made a bunch of mistakes along the way, but ultimately it was a fun little project that I got to work on with my Dad. That’s always a good thing.
By William Kristoph
Fifteen days in to 2014 and it’s been quite a show so far.
- I’m still getting over a cold that I came down with on New Year’s Eve.
- The Seminoles won the final BCS National Championship game in thrilling fashion.
- My son was sick for a week with the cold that I gave to him (boo Daddy!)
- My wife somehow avoids getting sick, ever. It’s amazing. I think I’ve seen her with 1 cold in 7 years.
- I gave my cold to my parents, who ALSO got over it before I did.
- I tried to order a blue New York Mets jersey (road) and hilarity with MLB Customer Service continues after they messed up the sleeve.
So for now, posting is slow. It’s not the start to 2014 that I had hoped. However, some new recipes and posts are on their way soon. FSU Baseball season is a mere 30 days away and the Mets start March 31. Tallahassee spring has a way of rejuvenating me every year. I’m ready for it already!