I’m sure there are tons of posts out there already about iPad keyboard shortcuts. Even them, I either forget about the shortcuts or stumble upon new one. Last night, while I was poking around on Tweetbot, I stumbled upon the fact that I can hold down the ! or ? keys to get a ‘ or “. Why I never thought to try this I don’t know, considering I knew I could get various other keys by double tapping or holding down letter keys. My Twitter typing just became a ton more efficient.
Bill’s 5 Favorite iPad Keyboard Tips
- Be sloppy – The iPhone and iPad (and probably every other smartphone out there) has a wonderful ability to figure out what you were TRYING to type. Let the software work its magic and forget about the backspace key until a word is entirely wrong.
- Be comfortable – I love the Apple Smartcover because it gives the iPad just enough angle to make typing on the glass comfortable. Am I as fast on an iPad as I am on a keyboard? Not yet, but I get better at it each day.
- Learn your shortcuts! – OSX Daily has 8 great typing tips for your iPhone or iPad keyboard.
- Try splitting the keyboard – The iPad keyboard can split in two if you’d rather type with just your thumbs. This mode is very useful when doing a lot of quick typing like on Twitter or iMessage.
- Forget about typing! – If you have an iPad 3 (or better) or an iPhone 4S (or better) why not skip the keyboard entirely and use dictation or Siri to do the hard work for you? I’ve found the dictation feature is very accurate on the iPad 3.