By William Kristoph
Know Yourself – “There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one’s self.” – Benjamin Franklin
We spend our entire lives being ourselves, but how often do other people know us better than we know ourselves? My wife, my parents and some of my friends know me better and understand my emotions or reactions better than I understand. It’s too bad Ben Franklin doesn’t give us a solution to the problem. I wonder if Ben thought he knew himself well, and if he did or if his friends and family would laugh and tell us that he didn’t know either?
How To Know Yourself In 5 Easy Steps
- Me Time – Our lives are very busy, but it is important to take a moment or two each day to clear our minds and our hearts.
- Write – Write a journal, write a poem, write anything. I’m always surprised what flows out of my hands and through a keyboard.
- Move – For me, a long walk heals my mind and soul. For others it might be jogging or playing a sport. We’re meant to move and during that movement we can discover ourselves better.
- Friends – Take a good, long look at the people who surround. Which ones did you choose? What does that say about you?
- Stress – Stress is not always a bad thing. Sometimes the best way to find out new knowledge of yourself is to get through a pressure-packed or stressful situation.